Over the next 15 months Ngati Porou will have the opportunity to reflect upon Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou and the establishment phase of the post-settlement governance entity.
The purpose of the review is to provide the opportunity for Ngati Porou Iwi members and the organisation to consider what has worked well and what hasn’t, over the organisation’s first five years of operation. The intention of the review process is to seek the views and perspectives from a wide range of Ngati Porou stakeholders, and to use this information to help improve the organisation for the betterment of all Iwi members, and future generations.
The timing of the review originates from Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou’s Trust Deed which states that the Deed and its operation must be reviewed five years from the date of the election of the First Elected Representatives. The Election of the first Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou Elected Representatives was held over a 4 week period in September 2011.
The board of Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou have formed a sub-committee to work on a terms of reference and consultation plan for the review process. Once this is confirmed more information about how the review will be undertaken will be communicated over the next few months.
To read documents relevant to the review download the documents below.
- Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou Trust Deed
- Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou Constitution
- Toitu Ngati Porou Trust Deed
- Ngati Porou Holding Company Constitution
Excerpt from Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou Trust Deed (p. 13)
10.1 After five years from the date of the election of the First Elected Representatives, Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou shall undertake a review of this Trust Deed and its operation with a view to reporting to the next Annual General Meeting of Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou after the completion of the review on the effectiveness of the arrangements set out in this Trust Deed. Such report shall include recommendations as to the alterations (if any) that shall be made to this Trust Deed.
Background to TRONPnui
- Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou was established by Trust Deed on the 14th of December 2010, as a result of Ngati Porou’s historical grievances under the Treaty of Waitangi.
- The Crown’s settlement policies required that a post-settlement governance entity (PSGE) be established to receive and administer treaty settlement assets.
- Following the signing of the Deed of Settlement on the 22nd of December 2010, the Ngati Porou Claims Settlement legislation was passed on the 29th of March 2012.
- With the passing of this Act, Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou replaced the previous Iwi representative governance entity, Te Runanga o Ngati Porou on the 6th of April 2012.
- The structure for the Runanganui is made up of three main entities – a governance body, a commercial arm (Ngati Porou Holding Company) and a charitable arm (Toitu Ngati Porou).