Here you can get a snapshot of the work we are doing in the Education sector and find out about learning support, scholarships and trades training in our rohe.
Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou’s Matauranga team has a diverse work programme with the key goal being to support Ngati Porou whanau, marae and hapu to participate in opportunities that enable them to make informed choices about their lives.
The Ruatoria-based team co-ordinate and deliver a range of programmes and contracts. Some of the initiatives supported by the Matauranga team include the Ngati Porou Inter Marae Festival (Pa Wars), Te Rangitawaea Festival (Nati Awards), E Tipu E Rea educational partnership with the Ministry of Education and PAFT (Parents as First Teachers).
Toitu Ngati Porou Tertiary Education Grants 2022 APPLY NOW!
Are you a registered iwi member of Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou and enrolled in a course of tertiary study for 2022?
Toitu Ngati Porou, the charitable trust subsidiary of Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou and its partners are pleased to offer tertiary education grants for the 2022 academic year.
Applications and supporting information must be received by 5.00pm on Friday the 17th of June 2022.
You are eligible to apply if:
- You are a registered Iwi member of Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou;
- You are enrolled at a New Zealand Tertiary Provider in 2022
- Unsure if you are a registered Iwi member of Ngati Porou?
- For further information visit Register With Ngati Porou or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
There may be more eligible applicants than there are grant funds to distribute. Therefore, Toitu Ngati Porou will give preference to applicants who:
- have achieved strong academic results to date; and/or
- are contending with extra-ordinary financial hardship.
In 2022 the education grants on offer are -
- up to $2000 for post-graduate studies; and
- $500 for undergraduate (diploma or degree level) studies
EIT – Manini-tua Scholarship
The Manini-tua scholarship is a partner scholarship between Ngati Porou and EIT and aims to support iwi members studying in areas of strategic significance to Ngati Porou. This scholarship will cover the tuition cost for one year of course fees. Five scholarships are available for full-time students.
Courses of study
Grants and scholarships are available to eligible persons undertaking undergraduate or post-graduate studies at a New Zealand Tertiary Provider.
Toitu Ngati Porou welcomes all eligible applicants to apply by completing an online application and uploading supporting information to the online portal.
You are required to provide the following supporting information: -
- Iwi registration number
- Evidence of most recent and relevant academic record
- Evidence of your enrolment confirmation
- Reo competency: 1 (kei te ako) – 4 (matatau)
- 200 words on your active involvement/contribution to Ngati Porou me ona ahuatanga katoa
- A short statement as to why we should give you this grant.
- Encoded bank deposit slip or bank verification of your bank account number
If you have any queries, please contact the Toitu Ngati Porou Education Administrator by email email@example.com
Ngati Porou Forests offer the Hansol Scholarship for Forestry and related study for beneficiaries of land blocks involved in the Ngati Porou Hansol Forestry Joint Venture. For more info contact Daniel Willliams, General Manager, Ngati Porou Forests. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ngati Porou students are encouraged to see if they are eligible for national scholarships such as the Sir Apirana Ngata Memorial Scholarship, administered by Maori Soldiers Trust
You will also find a range of scholarships on the Maori Education Trust website.
The BreakOut database is also worth checking out – it’s New Zealand's primary source of funding information for students, researchers, sports people, artists and those wanting professional development.