Toitu Ngati Porou Charitable Trust
Toitu Ngati Porou is a Charitable Trust established as a wealth or benefit distribution entity to ensure that cultural development activities serve the needs of Ngati Porou now and in the future.
During the Hui a Tau 2020 the new incoming board members were announced, naumai haramai Ani Pahuru-Huriwai, Agnes Walker, Charlotte Gibson, Ngarimu Parata, WiPere Mita, Naomi Whitewood and Patrick Tangaere
The Runanganui established Toitu in June 2013, appointing seven establishment directors comprising three current directors of TRONPnui and four external appointees. This is in accordance with the Trust Deed, where up to 40% of the total membership can consist of TRONPnui Elected Representatives, with a maximum board size of seven directors and a minimum of five. All directors are Ngati Porou.
Guided by the Trust Deed the Toitu directors were selected to provide the board with a range of relevant skills and experience to best enable the fulfillment of Toitu’s purpose.
Toitu held its inaugural meeting on 16 June 2013 and the Officers of Chair and Deputy Chair were elected:
- Amohaere Houkamau – Chair
- Barry Soutar (Deputy Chair) - (disestablished post 2015 TRONPnui board elections )
- Amos Forrester
- Lillian Baldwin
- Rei Kohere
- Wiki Gilvray
- Tina Porou (resigned)
To give effect to Toitu’s purpose, the directors will be guided by the following principles:
- to act in the interests of all Members of Ngati Porou – Nga uri o nga whanau me nga hapu o Ngati Porou mai i Potikirua ki Te Toka a Taiau
- to foster Te Reo ake o Ngati Porou me ona tikanga
- to act in accordance with the relevant Ngati Porou tikanga to achieve the best possible standards of stewardship.
- Toitu Ngati Porou Trust Deed
- Nati Link article about the establishment of Toitu Ngati Porou ( inside Nati Link November 2013, pg 17)
- Web article about about Toitu Ngati Porou priorities for 2016 - 2017 (published 14 Sept 2016)