The Ngati Porou register is a register of Ngati Porou people maintained by Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou. By registering on the database, you are:
- acknowledging your whakapapa connections to Ngati Porou Iwi, hapu and marae.
- eligible to vote in Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou elections (if you are 18 years old or over) and other voting proccesses.
- eligible to stand for election on Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou board of directors.
- able to receive panui via email or postal updates from Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou
- able to have your say about the future direction of Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou as the organisation's ultimate shareholder.
How do I register?
Registrations can be done online or you can download or pick up a registration form from our TRONPnui offices in Gisborne or Ruatoria.
Criteria for Application
- Be of Ngati Porou descent by blood
- Provide proof of their Ngati Porou ancestry
- Complete the registration form – either paper or online www.ngatiporou.iwi.nz
- Complete the declaration – signed, dated and witnessed
- Provide a copy of their identification
Whakapapa – Genealogy
Applicants must provide proof of their Ngati Porou ancestry by having their whakapapa certified by one of the following:
- Ngati Porou Pakeke/Kaumatua;
- Ngati Porou Marae Trustee or Marae Committee member
- Ngati Porou Taura Here Committee executive member
- Te Runanganui Elected Representatives
- An authorised Te Runanganui Officer (ie, the CEO and any Senior Managers who are also registered Beneficial Members)
Affiliation to Marae
The Ngati Porou rohe has been divided into seven Rohenga Tipuna (hapu clusters). 48 Marae within Ngati Porou have been identified and have been arranged in order of Rohenga Tipuna.
For voting purposes, a Rohenga Tipuna must be identified. This can be determined by the applicant choosing their primary marae. Members may also select other marae they are affiliated to as secondary marae.
The applicant must provide a copy of one of the following forms of identification:
- Birth Certificate
- Drivers Licence
- Firearms Licence
Registering your tamariki
Beneficiaries under the age of 18 may be registered but will not be eligible to vote until they turn 18.
A separate application must be completed for all applicants including tamariki.
Parents or Guardians may complete and sign an application on behalf of minors.
Those who are 18 years or older MUST complete their own registration form and sign it themselves.
Where do I send my application?
Applications can be dropped off or posted to one of our Runanganui offices:
Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou
Te Tini o Porou
75 Huxley Rd/Tyndall Rd Entrance
PO Box 226
Or scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What happens to my application once I send it in?
The Database Administrator will check to ensure all registration requirements are met and will advise the applicant if they require more information.
Any application received and that complies with the requirement of the Registration Form is recorded as a provisional registration pending approval by the Ngati Porou Membership Committee.
Confirmation of membership will be sent to the applicant with their allocated Ngati Porou membership number. Where an application for registration is declined, the applicant may seek a review of the decision (refer to clause 27 – Dispute Resolution Procedure of the Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou Trust Deed). The Deed can be accessed from the Runanganui Offices and online www.ngatiporou.com.
Once I have registered, do I need to do anything else?
Your name and contact details will be used for all future communications with you. Therefore, it is important that you keep us informed of any changes either by:
- Logging into the online database www.ngatiporou.iwi.nz
- Calling 0800 NPOROU (0800 67 67 68)
- Emailing email@example.com
- Or calling into one of our offices.
It is also important to:
- Encourage and support your whanau to register on the Ngati Porou Database
- Encourage your whanau to check if they registered and ensure their details are up to date
- Notify us if there is a death within your whanau so we can remove them from our database. This will ensure they will no longer receive any future correspondence from us.
I need to check my registration details are correct?
If your contact details have changed since you first registered, click here to update your information. To check if you are registered or have any other query relating to registration contact Hiria Shaw, Ngati Porou Register Administrator at the TRONPnui office in Ruatoria. Tell 0800 67 67 68 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Does registration with Ngati Porou mean I can’t register with another iwi?
No, if your whakapapa supports affiliation to another iwi, you can register with that iwi too.
Is information contained on the Ngati Porou register supplied to anyone else?