Te Kaupapa Rautaki provides the strategic direction of Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou from 2013 to 2018.
The plan was developed in 2012 after the Board’s 14 elected representatives were asked to gather feedback and whakaaro from Ngati Porou tribal members within their Rohenga Tipuna, using communication tools such as hui, newsletters, social media and email submissions.
When the post-settlement governance entity Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou was being designed it was based on the concept of a Whare Maire (Ancestral House) supported by five Pou. The structure of the Whare Maire was based on the whakaaro of tribal members who had contributed their views during the Te Haeata treaty settlement consultations. The Strategic plan shares the same principles and values as those of the Whare Maire.
The Strategic Plan provides the operational divisions of the Runanganui with the opportunity to align their own business plans with the same goals and objectives as the governance.
“Ko te whare maire ka tu ki roto i te Pa-tuwatawata
he tohu no te Rangatira.”
“A carved ancestral house standing within a fortified pa is a sign of chieftainship.”
A Tatau Pou (Our Strategic Goals)
A Tatau Tikanga ( Our Values)
- Kanohi kitea
- Ringa raupa
A Tatau Mahi ( Our Roles)
- Me aroha kia tatau
- Ko tatau nga kaitieki mo Ngati Porou (We are active guardians and stewards for the descendents of Ngati Porou)
- Te hapai i te mana me te rangatiratanga o Ngati Porou (Our role is to uphold and enhance the mana and rangatiratanga of Ngati Porou)
- Ki te whakamana i nga tumanako o te iwi (We will realise the hopes and aspirations of our people)
- Whakapau kaha kia taea ai nga tumanako katoa o te iwi (We will invest in our people to achieve our vision.)
- Mahi ngatahi kia tu pakari ai a Ngati Porou (We will work together so that Ngati Porou is even stronger tomorrow, than it is today)
- Whakamahia te reo me nga tikanga o Ngati Porou i nga wa katoa (Models the appropriate use of Ngati Porou language and customs at all times)